Re: conjugation - conjugate

Shokran! I still have a lot to learn and need to commit to studying...Inshallah I will! Thanks u guys! Like these kind of lessons! Im ready for more :hap:

i am really busy right now with work, ok i will give you one if no one else does in a couple days

shukran, everybody, for this useful thread.  It would be great if a native-speaker would come along and help, too. wink

I've got a story from the book
"Humor and Moroccan Culture" by Matthew Helmke. Some of you may be familiar with it. I think I bought it from Amazon.com  It is very useful for reading short texts in Darija. They are written in Arabic script, and are translated into English.

This story is about JuHa. Matthew Helmke describes JuHa as 'an interesting character in North African and Middle Eastern folklore. He is part jester and part wise man. He can say what everyone is thinking, but would never say, and he can get away with it. Sometimes stories about him impart wisdom, sometimes they're just amusing observations of human nature.

waHd nhar JuHa msha l-3nd SaHbu w Tlb mnu bzaf d l-flus.
???? ???? ??? ??? ???? ????  ? ??? ???  ???? ? ??????.

qal-lu, " 3lash bghitihom haduk l-flus, a JuHa?"
??? ?? ????  ???????? ????? ??????? 

jawbu, " ana ghadi nshri fil."
?????  ??? ???? ???? ???

suwwel SaHbu, "fil? ash katfkr JuHa? ma3ndksh blasa kbira bash y3sh fiha l-fil. ma3ndksh l-flus bash tshri liya l-makla. ash katDn, ya SaHbi?"
??? ????  ???? ?? ????? ???? ??????? ????? ????? ??? ??? ??? ?????. ??????? ?????? ??? ???? ??? ???????. ??
???? ?? ?????

jawb JuHa, " ana Tlbt mnk flus, mashi neSiHa."
???? ??? ??? ???? ??? ???? ???? ?????

Have a go at translating. I hope you can understand my transcription / romanization, and I hope I haven't made too many mistakes with the Arabic script.

A hint :
fil = elephant
neSiHa = advice

Oh boy....

???? ???? ??? ??? ???? ????  ? ??? ???  ???? ? ??????.

One day, Joha went to his friend and asked from him alot of money (asked to borrow from him)

??? ?? ????  ???????? ????? ???????

He said "What do you want to do with this money Joha?"

?????  ??? ???? ???? ???

He answered, "I want to buy an elephant"

suwwel SaHbu, "fil? ash katfkr JuHa? ma3ndksh blasa kbira bash y3sh fiha l-fil. ma3ndksh l-flus bash tshri liya l-makla. ash katDn, ya SaHbi?"
??? ????  ???? ?? ????? ???? ??????? ????? ????? ??? ??? ??? ?????. ??????? ?????? ??? ???? ??? ???????. ??
???? ?? ?????

His friend answered, "Elephant?  What are you thinking Joha?  You don't have a (place - blasa?) big enough for an elephant to live in, you don't have enough money to buy (food - makla?).  What are you (doing - katDn?) my friend?"

???? ??? ??? ???? ??? ???? ???? ?????

Joha answered, "I asked for money from you, not advice"

Hmm, well I'm not good at understanding full sentences, but I'll try translating using the words I think I recognize smile

One ? JuHa went to his friend (to borrow?) much money.

he was told "why do you want this money, JuHa?"

?, "I'm gonna buy an elephant"

(His frend asked?) : "An elephant? -ash katfkr JuHa?- You don't have a big (blasa?) (bash y3sh fiha l-fil?) You don't ghave the money (bash) to buy it the food (maybe, I don't understand the sentence). (ash katDn?) my friend.

?, I (?) money, not advice.

mezian bezzaf - well done ! sahir1 and BaraSara

Here's a bit of clarification :

qal-lu  -  he said to him
3lash  -  why
bghitihom  -  you want them (referring to the money)
jawb-u   -   he answered him
suwwel  -  he asked
blasa  -  'place', room (in the sense of (not) enough room)
bash  -  (in order) to
tlbt  -  ask, request
mnk  -  from you

Okey, here's an english sentence again with verbs that I hope someone can translate and conjugate in darija :

Maryam: I wish I could speak to you, but I am in a hurry.
Haitem: It's okay, we spoke yesterday anyway. Where are you going?
Maryam: I'm going to play football, and after that I'm going to eat dinner with my family.
Haitem: Ok, maybe we can see eachother tomorrow then.
Maryam: Yes, I hope I have more time tomorrow. Good bye

maryam- baghia nhadar ma3k, wlakin rani mezrouba daba

haitem- hania, 3ad hdarna lbare7...fein ghadia ba3da?

maryam- ana ghadnla3b kora, wmin ba3d ghadia nta3acha ma3 la3ila

haitem- wakha, inchallah netchoufou ghada

maryam- iwa ghada inchallah llah yhanik

that is my attempt

Merci smile I'm not very creative, wish there were more people writing some different sentences..